Is your New Year’s Resolution to improve your cardio in your training? Or have you always wanted to improve your ability to just keep going, aka your “engine”, but don’t know where to start? Well we have the place to be for all that and more!. This Sunday from 10-11:30am we have Coach Jennifer Murray, a relative new comer to our community with a wealth of knowledge and experience, is running her 2nd seminar in as many months.
Before we get into it I want to say a quick personal note. This seminar certainly will be invaluable to those of you who have interest of any kind in things like distance events (5ks up to ultra marathons, Spartan races, triathlons), but also for those of you who just want to improve what you do here at Lando on a day to day basis. As you will see in the breakdown below there will be extensive time devoted to warmup techniques and cooldown/mobility.
These latter parts are things I would love for us to be able to do in class every day but we just don’t have the time. 60 minutes is barely time to get in a warmup that prepares you for the day’s work and said work. We take great pride in teaching you how to improve your fitness, not just pushing you through it. This is true with how to take care of your body both pre and post workout. So, I highly encourage you to take the time and make it over to the gym on Sunday at 10am and learn from Coach Jenn. As always you will also be getting a great workout in so your time will be WELL spent.
Back to the seminar itself. This 90 minute session will cover:
– Proper Warmup: containing conditioning drills and technique work. Everything you do will be aimed at warming you up for the day and teaching you valuable tools for beyond. Simple and very useful.
– Endurance WOD: It wouldn’t be a trip to CrossFit Lando Charlestown without you spending some time struggling to catch your breath and fighting through a crippling leg burn, all together making you, albeit briefly, wondering ‘WHAT IN THE HELL AM I DOING?’. This will be just like what you are accustomed to every day here at CFL but endurance based. This means longer (20-30 minutes), cardio movement focused (assault bike, rowing, running with weather permitting, etc.), generally aimed at building your ability in long duration workouts.
– Cool Down/Mobility Time: Maybe the coolest time (pun maybe intended) of the entire Seminar, you will finish with a full cool down session complete with mobility work and Q&A for all your flourishing questions you will surely have for Jenn by this time.
Like I said above, the point of this seminar and all seminars we run is to get both more fit and more educated. You will take away lasting techniques, drills, and mobility that you can use when at the gym before or after class, in Open Gym time, or at home/on your own.
– Bring your jump rope today of all days. If you do not have your own jump rope I HIGHLY encourage you to do so. Rogue Fitness (google it) is the place to get anything from a cheap one to one that is 10x more than you ever thought you would spend on a jump rope. We always will provide jump ropes at the gym but if you plan on being around for any length of time it will be of great benefit.
“Flight Simulator”, 10:00 Clock
All DU sets must be UB or start over at 0 for that set.
Scaling: this is just a guide. Remember it’s a warmup. Truly a time to work on your jumping rope. If there is ever a time to work on double under, no matter the struggle, this is the time.
S: Double Unders by 1, starting at 1 up to 10. Do single in sets of 5 with a DU mixed in after every 5 singles. Then try to link back into singles then another DU, and so on. Count just the DU for your counting in the “WOD”.
L1: Mix 1 Single Under in between each DU rep. This is truly the day to break the barrier you might be in and get to this point with your DU.
Rx+: Up to 50 reps
Strength: Bench Press
5-5-5-3-3-3…Hold top/lock out of each rep for 3 seconds
WOD: “Icon 1”
20 Wall Ball 20/14
20 Power Clean 135/95
Same Warmup as CF
Core: For Time
10 Barbell Rollouts
20 Russian Twists 25/10 Plate
30 GTOH w plate
40 Hollow Rocks
60 Straight Arm Plank KTE, opp. Alt.
50s Hollow Hold (accumulated)
40s Forearm Plank Hold (accumulated)
30s Hollow Rocks (accumulated)
20s Shoulder taps, alternating and accumulated
10 Perfect Pistols (scale as needed)
Conditioning: 4 Rounds, each round 3:00 with 1:00 rest
30 Wall Ball 20/14
30 KB Swings 53/35
AMRAP Step up and over with MB @ chest
1. Warmup, Strength, and WOD
2. For Quality
100 Straight Arm Plank Knee to Elbow, opp. knee to opp. elbow
80 Walking Lunge with plate OH 45/35
60 Abmat Situps
40 Burpees, hand release at bottom, full stand (no jump)
20 DB Good Mornings (single DB @ chest) day, heaviest able with PERFECT form (for this it should be completely flat back especially lumbar, and completely straight legs other than safety softness of knees